Coronavirus (CoVID-19) Information
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19 VIRUS) Q & A
What is a novel coronavirus?
A novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.
A diagnosis with coronavirus 229E, NL63, OC43, or HKU1 is not the same as a COVID-19 diagnosis. Patients with COVID-19 will be evaluated and cared for differently than patients with common coronavirus diagnosis.
Steps to Help Prevent the Spread of Respiratory Viruses/COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home and limit trips to public places unless required, when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Practice social distancing (6 ft. as recommended by the CDC) and avoiding crowds
Who is at a higher risk?
- Older adults
- People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease
What are the symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Shortness of Breath
If I have symptoms, what do I do?
If you are in generally good health and have a mild illness, stay home and take care of yourself like you would for the flu.If you are experiencing any symptoms, contact your local physician. They will determine if you need to seek medical attention and prepare for your visit.
If my physician thinks I am symptomatic, what are the next steps?
A swab will be taken in your physician office and sent to a lab for testing. The lab will notify the physician and County Health Inspector. If positive, protocols will be established. Most people not in the higher risk categories are able to recover at home.
LOCAL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) INFORMATION
PRESS RELEASES FROM CITY